Share this Page
Colombian emeralds the most fascinated
We have navigated a sea of arguments and reasons that make Colombian emeralds the most fascinated in the world. We have already talked about its quality and purity, its incomparable deep green colour, even the mythology behind these precious gems; But today I would like to talk about those curious facts that have made our emeralds a complete mineral rarity and, consequently, have turned them into a product with very high demand in the market for high profile jewellery.
Only in Colombia.
- Only in Colombian territory, there is the “TRAPICHE” emerald, also known as “ojo de gato (cat’s eye)”, and so named because of its streaks of colour, which resemble the pine nuts used in sugar cane squeezing machines. This kind of emerald is one of the rarest and most beautiful in the world.
- “PETRA”, the most valuable emerald vein in the world, was the product of a Colombian mine in the municipality of Muzo Boyacá. It is the third-largest in the world and weighs 236 carats. It has 60 emeralds embedded in all sizes and shapes.
- In Colombia, the “FURA” emerald, 11,000 carats and 2.2 kilograms in weight were found in 1999. It is the second-largest carved emerald in the world and came from mine in Muzo Boyacá.
- The largest emerald crystal in the world was found in 1969 in a Colombian mine called “Las Cruces”, located in the municipality of Gachalá. It weighs 7,025 carats and was the Guinness Record in 1995.
- The Smithsonian Institute in Washington has in its collection the Colombian emeralds “Gachalá”, one of the most valuable in the world, named after having been found in a mine in the municipality with the same name.
- The most expensive jewel in the world is not a necklace, an engagement ring or a set of earrings, it is actually a tiara designed with pear cut emeralds and Colombian diamonds. It belonged to the German princess Katharina Henckel Von Donnersmarck and was auctioned for $12.7 million dollars.
- The most viewed gemstone on the red carpet at the Oscars is the emerald, and curiously, such important actresses as Amy Adams, Annette Bening, Marisa Tomei and Reese Witherspoon, who have walked this carpet, have chosen Colombian emeralds, making the global interest in these beautiful gems grow uncontrollably.
TIP: Colombia is the only country in the world that produces bluish coloured emeralds.
Visit our catalogue at https://colonialgemstones.com/ and see why Colombian emeralds are the most fascinated in the world!